Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Goal Setting...Why Do We Lack The Discipline To Set Goals?


FEAR is the biggest obstacle and reason people don’t have a goals program. Fear of failure is a real dream-killer. A close second reason for lack of a real measureable goals program is low self-image. Too many people see themselves as either incapable of or undeserving of doing significant things and accomplishing great or even worthwhile things in their lives. The image or “picture” we have of ourselves dramatically influences our behavior.

As the oldest son of a career military man I was raised “in many different states, making few long-standing friends and always to be seen and not heard.” From an early age I always thought of myself as an outsider, I also saw myself as a mediocre student, with little desire and no knowledge of how to become outstanding. It wasn’t until, at the request of a neighbor of another new town, I was invited to join the Boy Scouts of America (BSA); that I made a serious effort to excel. I did so because if felt right, I thoroughly enjoyed being outdoors and I knew word would get back to my family about my performance. I valued the Scout leader’s opinion of me, as well as the opinions of my family and new found friends. I spent extra time studying the BSA handbook, learning new ways and earning merit badges. Early success earned more and sustained success.

Becoming a boy scout opened my eyes to the fact that I could compete favorably with other scouts and students. My self-image got a geometric boost. I saw myself in a different and more positive light, and when you see yourself in a favorable light, you perform far more effectively. While my grades were above average, after joining the scouts, my grades went higher, and I was more involved in class. I felt as though I’d become turbo-charged, everything became easier.

The interesting part; I didn’t expend any additional effort to achieve these goals. Time and again, before I reached my goal, I was already planning my next goal. From one merit badge to 21, from a B to an A grade and being more involved in the ideation and solution process. My close friend Zig Ziglar said it best, “With a healthy self-image (not an inflated ego) you are in a position to set more ambitious but still realistic goals.” Planning for success by setting goals and constant measuring your position; will always get you closer to your plan versus, hoping, wishing and no planning.

“When much is expected, much is delivered” – Anonymous

“Let’s swap problems since all people know how to solve other people’s problems”- Croft Pentz

Give goal setting a chance. The next time you talk with co-workers, spouse or kid’s; be sure they know your goals. Goals are contagious, especially when you regularly meet and exceed your goals. Those around you will want your success to rub off on them. They’ll want to hear your secrets, how you approach obstacles, etc. Because the majority plan nothing, they hinge their success on wishes, hopes and dreams. While not bad to dream; an unwritten goal is only a hope. If you want great, measurable and scalable success; you must write it down, tell others about your goals. Measure them by talking about them and retooling your mindset to excel at everything you think about and do.

Let’s plan to succeed by design and create success every where.

No comments: